Welcome To My Literary World

Sit back and enjoy the smooth rhythm of my flow. I am romantic storyteller who will soothe entertain and educate your mind. So visit me often, explore my thoughts, and drop me a note. Welcome to Literary Architecture a place where stories are designed, ideas are formulated, inspiration is given. There are no problems, only issues that are waiting for solutions. Solve them that is why God put you here.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Rationalizing Fifity Shades of Grey's Success


It’s amazing how people try to rationalize other’s success. What we need to remember, is God has a blessing for each one of us that is designed for us and cannot be duplicated by another. If we cannot be happy for others we might just miss our blessing. With the success of the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy, one question keeps popping up all over the internet; how and why are these books are so popular? I have read countless opinions, some which attempt to belittle author E.L. James’ work by saying that other authors did it first, write better, or have hotter steamer books.


So what! So what if another author created the genre or has had a mountain of successful at writing erotica? So what if BDSM (bondage, discipline, dominance, and submission) existed in books long before this book. At the end of the day, does it really matter? No it does, because when it comes to writing there are very few topics, subjects or styles that are new. It is the way the individual author creates and tells the story that draws readers in. Besides, most of the arguments I’ve read have been in comparison to erotica authors or sex scenes in general. In my opinion general erotica and romantic erotica or a romance novel cannot be compared anyway, because the romance reader demands a story that focuses on two main characters forming a loving relationship with a happy ending. The reader has to fall in love with the characters for the book to be successful. In erotica the storyline can be about anything as long as the characters have really HOT sex.


It is well known that the initial popularity of Fifty Shades of Grey is due to its origin as Twilight Fan Fiction. An audience already existed for these stories. A plagiarism checker compared both books and found them 89% similar. Despite this Stephanie Meyer the author of the Twilight Series tells MTV, "I haven't read it. I mean, that's really not my genre, not my thing. I've heard about it. I haven't really gotten into it that much. Good on her … she's doing well. That's great!" Now if she can have that attitude why can’t everyone else.





No comments:

Post a Comment