Welcome To My Literary World

Sit back and enjoy the smooth rhythm of my flow. I am romantic storyteller who will soothe entertain and educate your mind. So visit me often, explore my thoughts, and drop me a note. Welcome to Literary Architecture a place where stories are designed, ideas are formulated, inspiration is given. There are no problems, only issues that are waiting for solutions. Solve them that is why God put you here.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

We like what we like....

There was a discussion on facebook yesterday about readers not favoring certain books. Life has taught me that you can’t get upset because everyone doesn’t love your work. It is unrealistic to think that everyone would. We don’t all wear the same style of clothes, eat the same types of food, or drive the same cars. So isn’t it unrealistic to believe that everyone will enjoy our work. We like what we like. I will admit that I love African American Romance. It is by far my favorite genre. But I also like mysteries, and contemporary fiction. I was a fein for an E. Lynn Harris novel. The funny thing is that at one time I didn’t think I would want to read about gay characters but I am so happy I did. Those books where some of the best books I have ever read. At the end of the day I got into the storylines and fell in love with the characters.

I say all this to say that as a writer I must have an open mind and be willing to read all types of books and genres. By doing such I enlarge my vision and able to experience books I might very well find I like.

It’s amazing how several people in the literary field snob their noses at the romance genre. Thank God millions of readers disagree. In 2010 romance out sold every category raking in $1.358 billion. The next closest category was Christian/Inspirational which sold approximately $700 million. That is a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment